Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: THE WORLDWIDE NEW WAVE OF DERIVATIVE SHIT

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Matt J Heaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2000
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think the main reason people have got pissed off here is that the topic was posted in this beginners forum. Why wasn't it posted in exposure where more people visit?

    I think that was because N. Foster is on some kind of personal crusade to clean up our screens, by discouraging people from getting started in filmmaking in the beginning.

    People seem to assume that all young people with a filmmaking dream are just dumb kids who want to swear and shoot guns.

    Don't question peoples motives for filmmaking, they don't need a reason. Who says they aren't just doing it for a weekend hobby?
    Whatever their ambitions are, this forum is to help, not to discourage.

    Start a "THE WORLDWIDE NEW WAVE OF DERIVATIVE SHIT" forum for that.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Matt J Heaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2000
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think the main reason people have got pissed off here is that the topic was posted in this beginners forum. Why wasn't it posted in exposure where more people visit?

    I think that was because N. Foster is on some kind of personal crusade to clean up our screens, by discouraging people from getting started in filmmaking in the beginning.

    People seem to assume that all young people with a filmmaking dream are just dumb kids who want to swear and shoot guns.

    Don't question peoples motives for filmmaking, they don't need a reason. Who says they aren't just doing it for a weekend hobby?
    Whatever their ambitions are, this forum is to help, not to discourage.

    Start a "THE WORLDWIDE NEW WAVE OF DERIVATIVE SHIT" forum for that.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Matt J Heaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2000
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think the main reason people have got pissed off here is that the topic was posted in this beginners forum. Why wasn't it posted in exposure where more people visit?

    I think that was because N. Foster is on some kind of personal crusade to clean up our screens, by discouraging people from getting started in filmmaking in the beginning.

    People seem to assume that all young people with a filmmaking dream are just dumb kids who want to swear and shoot guns.

    Don't question peoples motives for filmmaking, they don't need a reason. Who says they aren't just doing it for a weekend hobby?
    Whatever their ambitions are, this forum is to help, not to discourage.

    Start a "THE WORLDWIDE NEW WAVE OF DERIVATIVE SHIT" forum for that.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member 8 and 1/3 Minutes's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2000
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    N. Foster, I definitely agree with you that the world has too many 14 year aspiring directors/producers/writers/filmmakers/whatever you want to call it smile. They are mostly interested in the glamour of the job and the money. The Blair Witch Project was a novel idea, but...it didn't DO anything for me. The best part of it was after you saw it, then it was frightening, but after about 1/2 and hour the novelty wore off. What if the person writing this post was one of your 14 year old fuck off filmmakers? Well guess what? It is. smile

  5. #15
    Inactive Member marti-c's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 19th, 2000
    Posts
    298
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Interesting topic
    Dont know what its doing in here though!

    I dont have any strong opinion either way except to say that...

    who cares whether 14 year olds are interested in making wham bam action movies. Not wanting to sound like an old fogey but it is better than aspiring to being unemployed and hooked on crack. As they mature their ideas will mature and i think being young is a thing you should go through to reach maturity.

    Who cares if equipment is coming into the general publics use and got away from the elitist few that could pursue some sort of artistic impression on film!

    Who cares if mainstream cinema adds up to moronic crap. They will always be good films bubbling underneath the crap.(dump the multiplex and get down to your small independant cinema)...be individualistic.....watch junk if you please.but be aware that it is junk and that makes it ok. How would you know a great film if you never sat through 10 shit ones ?

    Dont get me wrong...i agree with you, but time always seperates the men from the boys so you dont have much to worry about.
    Think of this statistic. When i started a television production college course last year there were 23 in the class. All aspiring young people with ideas and energy..............when the course finished there were 8 of us( and of the 8 only 3 of us are going on to our higher national diploma in tv operations).!!!!!!!!

    Just remember that everyone owns a piece of paper and a pencil but they cant draw a masterpiece. The tools are only as good as the person using then.

    I believe you have nothing to worry about

    Thanks for listening

    marti-c

  6. #16
    Inactive Member 8 and 1/3 Minutes's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2000
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Well said marti! biggrin
    ~Paige

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Jairen's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2000
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I want to go back to something Ravenhill said:

    Artistic freedom is being abused.

    How can you abuse artistic freedom? Isn't the whole point of freedom supposed to be the choice to do what one pleases. If that means making mainstream hollywood "crap" (which I happen to enjoy watching) then so be it, that is what that artistic freedom is for.

    Personally, I like to stretch myself and watch a broad range of film, not just hollywood stuff, but I do enjoy a good, entertaining, big-budget film as well.

    For my own work, I'm toying with several ideas, of which one is a film about a hitman. It's very cliche and fits totally in with the "hollywood" style. Whether people watch it or not doesn't bother me. Whether other people consider it art doesn't bother me. I'm doing this because I enjoy it.

    Oh, and Mr Foster Tyler, I'm not a 14 year-old, I'm a 28 year-old. And I still want to make this kind of film. TO me, film is not "just" art, it is entertainment, fun, escapism. If it was "just" art, then I'd dump it. Don't get me wrong, art is great, and I've visited the Louvre a large number of times in the last six months in Paris, but I've interspersed that with fun, parties, work. It takes that balance to make my life good.

    You are entitled to your opinion, but so are all these other people out here, including all your "14 year old f***ing wannabees".

    Oh, and clean up the language a bit. Continual swearing just makes you look immature.



    ------------------
    Jair
    [email protected]
    The important thing is this: to be able at any
    moment to sacrifice what we are for what we
    could become.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member N. Foster Tyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2000
    Posts
    211
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So fucking be it.

    -N. Foster Tyler

  9. #19
    Inactive Member tashunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2000
    Posts
    141
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'd have to agree on several points made here. Film can be ART but it doesn't have to be. I absolutely love a good low budget indie with hidden meanings, impressionistic views, and lots of story but it's also fun to watch Arnie blow up a 2000 year old church with 47 tons of dynamite and a bazooka. Every film has it's own little category it can fit into. Most of them are formulaic, mass market GARBAGE, without a doubt. I'm just surprised how the average person has no knowledge of independent films unless it's thrust into mainstream by the Hollywood money grubbers.

    As far as the digital revolution goes.......I absolutely love it. You are right though, everyone and their brother now has the ability to make a film on their PC for almost no money and with a reasonable quality. But I think that's wonderful. It does mean 1000 X more shite will be around but it also means that some excellent films will be made by people who wouldn't have normally had the opportunity.

    I'm a member of a film-for-the-sake-of-film independent filmmakers society. They're mandate for 6 years has been to promote and educate as well as help out local independent filmmakers. We just received a grant for new equipment and will be buying an XL1 and a G4. Although they aren't film, it will allow everyone to get way more practice and develop and hone their skills. We can't all afford the $1500-$2000 an hour for 16mm.

    In the end the cream will rise and the dung will sink. Most people will wain on their pursuit of a career in the industry and only those with the skills and heart to follow it through will make it. The wannabes will weed themselves out.

    ta ta for now.
    tash.

    ------------------
    "Grab a handful of St. John's Wort and a Giant Coke Slurpee and go make a movie."

  10. #20
    Inactive Member Hades_Knows's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2000
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy

    hey i got even better ideas...

    1)stop the soapy jibberish.
    2)pick up that camera/paper/pen/clap board/boom mic/dildo or whatever.
    3)get out of that isolated hut o' yees and start making things.

    i'll see you all in the can~~~~


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •